Why are we climbing Kilimanjaro in 2020?
Our goal is to complete the construction of our Girls Primary School in Uganda, in time to open for Term 1, 2020!
How do we fundraise? And where does it go?
We are asking each climber to fundraise a minimum of $2500 through their friends, family and colleagues.
All funds raised goes directly to Winds of Hope, with no funds used for administrative purposes (aside from bank fees such as credit card charges and currency exchange fees, which are unavoidable).
How do I fundraise?
Each day is structure to ensure a safe and fun hike, gradually ascending the mountain whist minimising the risks of altitude sickness.
- We’ll help you fundraise by providing a personalised online fundraising portal. You can customise this with your own photos and details, allowing people to donate directly or sponsor your climb.
Download Marketing Material
- We’ll soon have a number of downloads, including email banners, posters and social media graphics that you can use to promote your fundraising cause.
- We’ll provide tips on how to use email, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn to promote your fundraising.
Host your own Fundraising Event
- Run a BBQ (a typical Bunnings BBQ raises over $2000 per day!), host a dinner or lunch, or just get your friends and family to rally together to help you raise money.
What happens if I don’t raise the whole amount?
The amount we’re showing is a guide and our goal, but is not a requirement. Some people will raise less, and others more.
Our overall goal per trek is to raise around $50,000 – $60,000. This is about half the cost of the first phase of our school construction.
Here’s some extra advice to help you ensure you reach your goals.
- Set a monthly target to help make reaching your target manageable.
- Keep fun at the forefront of all fundraiding ideas and get creative.
- Think about how to incorporate a fundraising aspect into activites you enjoy. If you love to bake, consider a bake sale. If tennis is your thing, create a Round Robin tounement.
- Set high goals – Shoot for the starts and land on the moon. It doesn’t matter if you don’t quite make it.
- Prove your commitment by starting with a donation to yourself.
- Consider asking a local business or employer to match donations you raise.
- Ask a local social club (Lions, Rotary, etc.) to help fundraise or match your donations.
- Remind potential sponsors that all donations over $2.00 are tax deductible!
- Post regular updates on social media about your training, fundraising progress & cause so that supporters are engaged and feel apart of your challenge.
- Remind people about the cause and refer them to Winds of Hope to learn more about education programs in Uganda.
- Send out reminders – Most people are busy and may forget about your cause, make sure to send out polite reminders as you approach the event deadline.